Country association with an Apple ID, and thus the App Store and iTunes Store, can be changed easily. This allows access to content and apps that are country or region specific, and it’s extremely helpful for a variety of situations, whether for travelers, expatriates, or for anyone who is trying to view, download, or purchase items on another countries App Store or iTunes Store. While switching is easy, there are a few caveats to consider when changing the Apple ID country.
Change the Country Associated with an Apple ID from iOS
This can be done on any iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
- Open Settings, and go to “iTunes & App Stores”
- Tap on the Apple ID and enter the associated password
- Choose “Country/Region” and select the new country to associate the account with
Do note that if you change the country associated with an Apple ID, you will need to update billing information so that it corresponds to an appropriate address in the new country. That is required before you will be able to purchase anything from the new countries app store, though gift cards work as well if they are issued in the country of choice, and you can also switch countries with iTunes accounts that have been setup without a credit card on file and download free apps and music only.
Changing Countries from iTunes on the Desktop
This will work in iTunes for Mac OS X or Windows:
- Launch iTunes and go to the iTunes Store
- Click on “Account” and log in, under “Apple ID Summary” choose “Change Country or Region”
- Select the new country as desired
Again, you will need to update billing information to be in accordant with the new region if you intend to purchase anything.